Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Our rules (in a nutshell)

Basically, I got rid of anything processed in our house.  As Jillian Michaels say, if it didn't come from the ground, and if it doesn't have a mother, don't eat it. Big H's family are not from the states and inflation is really doing a double whammy on people in the wide open out-yonder, so we are sending them everything we have that was sealed.  If it wasn't sealed, then my mom took it... Problem solved. 
1)  No High Fructose Corn Syrup... I know I know... it is fine in moderation... but do you realize how hard it is to eat high fructose corn syrup in moderation??? When is the last time you added up how much you eat in a day?  For real.
2) Not so many ingredients on the label... I don't have a stead fast rule for this one, but generally if I look at it, and I see a paragraph instead of a few lines, I put it back.
3) Umm... check out the dirty dozen at http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214. There is also a link to the printable wallet guide.  One of my new best friends.... cause I don't know about you...  But I don't want to eat pesticides on a regular... Just say no.
4)Is sugar one of the first 3 ingredients on the label?  Hello!  Not exactly healthy...  I would rather have my sugar on a piece of bread with some cinnamon and fresh unsalted butter.  Thank you!
5)  Use common sense.  If your grandma, or great-grandma didn't eat it, maybe we shouldn't either.  Just because something is new and exciting, does not mean it is good for us... It's like jumping on a roller coaster without secure seating... just not a good idea.

I am sure there are more and that more are going to emerge over time... This is a work in progress.  Slow and steady, and all that. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment