Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ok... The Beginning

This is new to me...  always kind of thought blogs were a little hokey... Now a definite, obsessed convert.  My husband and I have been eating whole foods only for about a week.  The beginning was difficult and I don't count it because there were lots of cheats (unbeknownst to me, of course.)   I have been on millions of pages, including but not limited to:  http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/, http://www.annies-eats.com/, http://www.naturalonabudget.com/, and the list goes on.  Got my start from the 100 days crew, who definitely inspired me.   For the last week or so Annie's recipes for bread are exactly what the doctor ordered. 

We love bread, can't get enough of it, Gotta Have It!   So, In the last 19 days I have gone through a whole bag of King Arthur's flour. Made a Sourdough starter, that I have not tried yet.  Made Cinnamon Pull Apart bread, which was a hit (except with my mother, who I don't think will ever like whole wheat anything!) Made Whole Wheat Pita bread (easy peasy, but lots of waiting for it to rise. My nephew was helping me, but abandoned me for the last 2 hours of waiting and the actual cooking of the bread.)  And last but not least, Whole Wheat Sandwich buns, which is my husband's favorite so far.

The trickiest part for us so far has been the shopping.  We are on a very tight budget as he is working for a manufacturing company (read:  not very good pay) and I am in nursing school, which is my main focus, so if I skip a few days here and there...  shoot me!  I have clinicals, tests, and the prep for these 2 items are not exactly as easy as baking pie... Thank you very much :)  So I have aimed at spending about $90.00 a week... sometimes not even that much... I find making our own bread is helping already.

And so we begin on this long, but so far, very tasty journey!!!   Please keep up with me and give me any help you can... Trust me!  We need it  :)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! Yes, it is very addicting! I am looking forward to your recipes! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete